Thursday, February 28, 2013

Harbor Freight 12-Ton Press Fix

I bought a shop press from Harbor Freight, when they put them on sale.  It's been working fairly well, except for the fact that the ram was free to float back and forth maybe a quarter inch.  I could almost get a beer bottle cap into the gap between the press frame and the ram weldment.  That quarter inch of slop is a problem when you're trying to press out a little pin.

Fortunately not terribly difficult to fix.  I went to the Home Depot, and bought 4 nylon bolts, and nuts to match.  Drilling the holes only took a few minutes with the hand drill (not the drill press shown in the background), but shaving the nylon bolts down to fit just right, took some time.  Here's a quick video to illustrate the problem, and how I fixed it.  Kinda dumb, more of a slide-show really, because I don't have a proper digital video channel, and no microphone.

No comments:

Post a Comment