Saturday, March 20, 2010

Oil Change Tip 1 - Drain Plug Tether

Oil changes are a simple, but often messy operation.  I have found that this can be helped a little bit, if you tether the drain plug to your wrist, a transmission fluid line, or something else under the car. 

What I did, specifically, is to take a length of dental floss, and tie one to my wrist, and then tie a loop in the other end.  After unscrewing the drain plug about a quarter inch, I'd put the loop over the threads of the drain plug, and lassoo that bugger.  Then when I finally got the plug unscrewed all the way, and it dropped into the catch pan, I could fish it out without putting my hand into the oil.

I used the dental floss because it was available, I knew where it was, and when I was finished, I could break the thread with a tug, rather than trying to untie.

No comments:

Post a Comment