Saturday, March 20, 2010

Oil Change Tip 2 - Oil Drain Valves

Even better than tying off the drain plug, is to completely replace it with a drain valve.

Fram Sure Drain
Available for some cars, you replace your oil pan plug with the one in the package.  When it's time to do an oil change, you screw the hose assembly onto the plug, which opens the valve.

Link to Fram Sure Drain at Jeg's Performance Online Store.  They used to be available at Pep Boys, in the area where you'd find oil filter wrenches.  Not sure if they still carry them.  The local Pep Boys stores are good for plastic shift knobs with LED lighting, and clamp-on chrome exhaust tips, but are light on stuff I actually need.

Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
I've never been able to get a Fram Sure Drain for any of my cars.  The one listed in the book for the Buick didn't have the right threads and I had to return it.  There's no Sure Drain available for the Subaru.

I discovered the Fumoto Oil Drain Valves on the NASIOC (North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club) forum.  The brass valve replaces the oil pan plug.  Just turn the lever, and the oil drains out.  I installed it with a Subaru OE drain plug crush washer, and I've gone probably 10,000 miles without any leaking.

Fumoto USA

No comments:

Post a Comment